Prelude to the Water Ripples 水調歌頭 - Su Shi 蘇軾 - Rodin's Fun Life

March 16, 2014

Prelude to the Water Ripples 水調歌頭 - Su Shi 蘇軾

博大的中國文學,在不同的朝代有不同的主流文體;詩詞曲賦,各有千秋。有不少作品道出千古難圓的離愁,如王維的送別,李白的送孟浩然之廣陵,李煜的相見歡,然而我獨鍾蘇軾的水調歌頭。
記得我曾請書法畫家幫我繪製兩件上衣,畫的便是一輪明月,提上「但願人長久,千里共嬋娟」兩行字。少年 Pi 的奇幻漂流中,一句經典名言為:「人生就是不斷地放下,然而最讓人痛心的是,沒好好說再見。」我想,這會是一輩子的功課...

As for the broad and profound Chinese literature, many classic writings are about the sadness of leave taking. However, I specially love the prelude to the water reipples by Su Shi.
I remember that I asked a calligrapher and painter to draw two T-shirts for me. The design is a full moon and the last two lines of the prelude to the water ripples. There is a remarkable line in the movie "Life of Pi": All of life is an act of letting go, but what hurts the most is not taking a moment to say goodbye. This, I guess, should be a lifetime lesson.
The following is my translation to English.

PRELUDE TO THE WATER RIPPLES - Su Shi

When shall we have a moon so full and bright?
Holding up a cup of wine, I ask the sky
I wonder which year is passing by
In the heavenly palace up on high

I'd like to reach there with the wind
Yet I am afraid the palace would be too cold since it's so high
Therefore, I could only dance with my moon-lit shadow
Doesn't it feel as if I were so happy in heaven?

The moon turns by the vermilion penthouse
Beaming down through the windows and shining on sleepless me
Sadness should not be evoked
But why is the moon always so full and bright when people are apart?

As people go with the flow of life, taking joys and sorrows, leaves and reunions
So the moon may be bright or dim, waxing or waning
Which has never been perfect since the ancient time

May we all be blessed with longevity
However far apart we are
We will still be able to share the beauty of the moon together

No comments:

Post a Comment